History of the St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce
The Fort Pierce-St. Lucie County Chamber began in 1906 as the local board of trade. Sometime later, the name was changed to the Fort Pierce-St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce. Its office was located at various sites throughout the years, most notably on North U.S. 1 in the space most recently occupied by the Jaycees. In 1977, an office was constructed on land owned by the City of Fort Pierce on Virginia Avenue next to the County Administration complex.
In 1977, the G.O. Team was formed and entered into a contractual relationship with the Chamber. The Chamber provided staff, equipment and office space for the management and implementation of the G.O. Team’s programs. That relationship was ended in 1990, with the G.O. Team, known at that time as the St. Lucie County Economic Development Council, moving into office space of its own.
In 1982, the Greater Port St. Lucie Chamber was formed to better serve the interests of the businesses in southern St. Lucie County. The Greater Port St. Lucie Chamber constructed an office in the mid-80’s on Port St. Lucie Boulevard.
The St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce, Inc., its present form, resulted from the merger of the Fort Pierce-St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce, Greater Port St. Lucie Chamber of Commerce and the economic development council known as the G.O. Team, Inc. on October 1, 1993. The merger occurred because businesses recognized the value of having one business organization to represent them. The central offices were then established in the Virginia Avenue office; consolidating management and reducing expenses. At that same time, a Fort Pierce Area Council and Port St. Lucie Area Council were formed to insure that the needs of both cities were adequately represented. Those Councils also enjoy an Executive Level seat on the Chamber’s Board of Directors.
In November, 1999, the St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce entered into an agreement with the City of Fort Pierce to operate a Fort Pierce Visitor Center in the Seven Gables House in historic downtown Fort Pierce. Over forty dedicated volunteers assist residents and visitors with local tourist information and a historical perspective of our area.
The Chamber spun out its industry recruitment efforts, formerly the G.O. Team, and formed the Economic Development Council of St. Lucie County in 2000. The EDC is separate and independent of the Chamber; however, to insure cooperation, the presidents of both organizations serve on the Board of Directors of the other.
In 2006, the St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce sold its building on Port St. Lucie Blvd., and relocated its Visitor Center Services to the Port St. Lucie City Hall where we maintain a wonderful brochure display.
In 2007, the Chamber relocated its Administrative Offices to St. Lucie West, directly across the hall from the Economic Development Council of St. Lucie County, the St. Lucie County Government Economic Development Division, and Senator Ken Pruitt. This move allowed the Chamber to consolidate its management, administrative and sales staff under one roof while maintaining our Visitor Centers in both downtown Fort Pierce and Port St. Lucie City Hall.
In 2013, the Chamber’s Administrative Offices made the move to our current location on Midway Road. This location allows the Chamber to better serve both Port St. Lucie and Fort Pierce in a central area between them.
Today, the Chamber has over 1500 members, six staff members and five visitor displays. We continue to serve as the “Unified Chamber of St. Lucie County”, proudly serving Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, and all of St. Lucie County.